Medina, Ohio

Anytime Fitness is a HORRIBLE company. I have received nothing but terrible service from the day I signed up. I had just started trying to lose weight, so I signed up for Anytime Fitness because it seemed to be the best option with my hours at work. The manager also specifically stated that I did not need to sign a contract, and that I could be released from the membership at any time, no questions asked.

I started to take some physical training courses, and, paying as much as I did for them, expected them to respect the fact that I have asthma (they didn't). I quit going to the location because I was very dissatisfied with the service.

When I lost my job in January, and decided I was NEVER going to the gym again, I went to the location and stated that I would like to cancel my membership. There was a new manager in the store, and he refused to release me from a 12 month contract I had no idea I was even involved in. I tried to fight it, but to no avail. I suspended my account for as long as I could, even after I had gotten a new job, and just decided, very unhappily, to pay my bill every month, not use the service, and NEVER sign up for something like this again. That worked until I received a call from a collections department saying I owed them $45 for a late fee, because they were unable to take the $30 membership fee out of my account. I was extremely confused, as I have always been financially secure, and I had never been handed over to a collection agency before. Turns out, it was a computer error, and they immediately refunded my money. No problem, except that 3 months later, the billing ceased. I figured somebody had read my appeal to the contract, had some sense, and finally taken me out of their system.

A week ago, my paycheck was direct deposited into my account. My rent was due that day, so I went to the bank to take the money out. When I got there, I was informed that Anytime Fitness had taken $130 (more than the two months they didn't bill me for) out of my account, and that I no longer had the funds I needed to pay my rent. When I talked to the new manager of the store (yes, a THIRD manager in less than a year), he explained to me that I had been billed three late fees, plus the two months I 'didn't pay', without being notified. When I told him that I could be evicted for not paying rent because of his company, and that taking money out of somebody's personal account without permission and notification is illegal (I work at a bank), he informed me that this was part of my contract, refused to take responsibility, and got very aggresive to the fact that I was holding him accountable for fixing the issue. I have not been able to get him on the phone for two days, despite continuously calling during business hours. I have provided bank statements, proving the money was in the account, and they continue to fight me on the issue saying I owe them the money. Do NOT go with this company, if at all possible, and if you do, NEVER let them automatically bill you. I have turned them over to my bank's fraud department, and fear I will be out of $130 because of this.

Product or Service Mentioned: Anytime Fitness Membership.

Comments

Same here they are thieves

I recently moved to a new state roughly 400 miles away from where my last anytime fitness gym was located. I called to cancel my account and the manager was a *** about it and said I either had to physically come in or to write up and sign a message declaring my intent to cancel.

I did the latter option and low and behold, I just found out that they never cancelled the account and have continually been withdrawing unauthorized funds. When I called to complain they manager wouldn't answer but instead had someone else give me a hard time and refuse to pay.

Maybe some locations are different, but definitely avoid the E. Washington St location in Indianapolis if you happen to be in the area and are considering it.

I finished my 2 yr contract with Anytime 8-9 months ago. It was before summer and the weather was warming up so I decided to quit the gym and excercise outside.

The staff lady told me that my membership was just month to month so I could stop and then come back and resume when I was ready. Its now Febuary and Anytime decided to withdraw the $37+ monthly fee that I USED to pay them along with a $31 overdraft fee from my bank. Small Claims Court time.

Everyone in this post are Anytime fanboys, or probably Anytime employees. You all suck.

***.

#351911

I notified in writting that I was not renewing at the end of my 12 month contract. After 3 years of not being a member I got a phone call yesterday from a bill collector saying I owe Anytime $450. Yeah I'm fighting that one.

Membership consultants (read sales people) will promise you the world in order to gain your membership and will time and time again promise potential clients "No lock in contracts and no exit fees" to suck them in.If it sounds too good to be true, it normally is. I know SO many people who have made this mistake, even I have!

Luckily for me, I didn't have to pay a cent of the $100 exit fee because I was misinformed and the Gym Manager recognised that it was due to his employee breaching company policy. Even though it is company policy for membership consultants to take people through the contract and explain ALL fees and financial obligations, very few membership consultants actually do this. People believe what they are told and do not read the contract themselves and often end up paying hundreds of dollars that they didn't know they had to pay.

Membership Consultants want your signature because that's how they get paid and most will lie to you to get it! Read the contract yourself and don't believe what you are told, don't take other peoples word for it.

If you would of read the contract and eft rules ahead of time this would not of been a problem.... The problem is people over extend themselves and live pay check to pay check I'm willing to bet you didnt cut your cable or phone off...why should the company get punished.....and trapped really by who...she signed shes a adult suck it up!

Time and again I read about idiots who failed to read their contract. They trust the nice guy or lady who makes pie in the sky promises to sell a membership.

When they're not happy, Do they read their contract? Nah, they just badmouth the company.

Well yes this is America and that's why the idiots here don't read contracts and then *** to the companies that they get "trapped" by. I don't work for the company, but then again why do I care what you think?

Oh and a little FYI "J" in America we are not free, so stop with that *** right there. We haven't been free since congress and the people in charge decided that they only care about money, not people.

Whatever, this is AMERICA! we are free to cancel a membership.

You must work there to be such an advocate, probably get a phat bonus to suck-up!

You wouldnt have to suck up, you could be free and not have all that stress if your company played fair. The dark side never prospers!

Okay you sound like you might just be an unsatisfied member that has decided to take out their rath on the company by making up some sob story to get attention and try to hurt their business. I don't have any issue with my membership and the staff at my location is great. Don't blame the whole company for one location that may be wrong in how they do business, though as I said I'm sure this is a made up story.