2K views

My husband and I have been a member of Anytime Fitness (Martinsburg, WV) for over 2 years. In July, both debit cards in which we were paying expired and we were issued new ones.

Anytime Fitness was no longer able to debit the amount and we were no longer interested in being members. Well, we just assumed that for lack of payment, they would just cancel us. NO!! The thieves continued to charge us through letters drawn up by ABC Financial for not only monthly charges, but service charges and late fees!!

So, I contacted the location directly to cancel my membership, paid up and thought my hands were clean of them. Just found out today, that I still owe them an additional $78.00 because I did not give them 30 days notice of my cancellation!! The rep at the location failed to give me that little tid bit of information yesterday before we hung up. So, I contacted the corporate location.

Who so rudely informed me that if I read my contract, that it's all there. I am so angry with them!! Beware of this company!!!! They will take your money and not think twice.

I will never deal with them again and I warn anyone out there thinking of coming under contract with them. They are thieves!! Go somewhere else that has more to offer anyway! This gym is a joke.

They don't have enough equipment and then charge you like their an LA Fitness or Gold's Gym. HA!! So far from it.

I always felt like I was in a race to get there so that I could get the machine I wanted. Just don't join!!

Comments

Denver, Colorado, United States #1137304

These auto renewal clauses are a rip off. the club owners never go over the agreement.

I should have read very bit of the agreement but they told me it was a 13 month term. We discussed that the term expired.

The membership was cancelled. I thought i was signing waivers for liability.

Temple, Texas, United States #727060

Yeah, I'm leaving too because I don't trust their billing services methods. No, its because ATF is caught.

And you have a contract to pay taxes.

This is to "Grow Up" comment person...seriously, I too have been taken advantage of with ABC Financial, which does reflect on Anytime... I really like the Manager of the Anytime I go to, and so, I will continue to go...however your "advice" to grow up..nice. Maybe you should take that anger of yours and go to the gym...burn it off, you made me laugh!

What a way to encourage new membership, person who keeps defending Anytime Fitness and other fitness gives: "Grow Up!" in all your posts defending Anytime Fitness comment pretty much proves you are the same person, over and over.

Anytime Fitness--and to be fair, a lot of other fitness centers--use ABC Financial to bill their customers. Trying to deal with ABC Financial is like trying to play pickup sticks with your butte cheeks: Next to impossible.

My advice to anyone who is considering a membership with any fitness center is to MAKE SURE "auto renewal" or "automatic renewal" is not checked/initialed/anywhere on the contract.

Many states have outlawed auto renewals on services such as fitness centers altogether.

Why? Because, despite what fitness center lobbyists say to defend the practice, auto renewals do NOT benefit the consumer. Instead, they practically guarantee an auto renewal of a membership that may not have been utilized in months.

If you *are* misled by the fitness center and wind up being obligated to an auto renewal anyway, BE SURE and send your notice of non-renewal by CERTIFIED MAIL to both the fitness center AND their billing agent (in my case, ABC Financial). Despite what they may say, or you may believe, about an email, phone call, fax, or regular-mail notice, they will pretend they never received such notice time and time again.

Remember: CERTIFIED MAIL for all non-renewal notifications.

Stop acting like a child and blaming others for your own mistakes.

$30 a month is a great rate and not to mention, there is no start up cost. sure, Gold's has $10 a month, but its also a $120 start up fee, and an 18 month contract.

Maybe you should just grow up and take responsibility for your actions, instead of putting down good companies.

You don't become the United States largest and nmost popular fitness center for not doing something right. Gea real!

In Australia i got the same problem, swapped credit card and a late fee...

but im complaining that it's illegal to not submit a warning that it's failed or late, and a failed transaction on the day is not late,

Also you have NOT agreed on a debit date on your contract :)

YEs people may say read your contacts, but a contract does not overcome the consumer policy (Law) by that country, we have rights as well.

How many of you delta bravos that are defending Anytime are franchisees I wonder. Bottom line is they are thiefs.

I was a member at LA Fitness and missed a payment once or twice due to a credit card # changing and never once was I charged any type of extra fees. I am in the process of trying to cancel my membership with this $hithole of a gym and just got dinged for an extra $45 or so for a late and declined fee according to ABC because I told BOA to stop paying after I made my last payment. Now what Im screwed I have to pay it if I dont they send it to a debt collector and they ding my credit report.

I could go on and on but dont have the time or effort. Anytime is ran by a bunch of thieving crooks and there gyms are dumps.

Did you read the contract after you signed it? Every gym has a membership form!

Shame on you for not reading things that you sign!

You are acting like a little child by your actions. You are an adult!

Thanks guys for the heads up about this company. I almost went by and signed up today but I thought I'd check them out first.

Also to the person insulting customers for trying to get out of their contract. You are a joke. Try working for a living instead of tricking people into a 2 year commitment you hope they won't use.

You call these people ***, naive may be a more appropriate term. The fact is every contract you've sold you had a very good understanding of what the customer would be required to do to fulfill his or her obligation but I would bet you did everything you could to smooth over those truths with misdirection and possibly all out lies.

Then when you guys start slam dancing their rectums you pull out the insults, like it's their fault you screwed them over.

Like I said you're a joke!

Enjoy this life because the next one may not be so great.

For all those who claim they "wern't told", when you signed up I'm sure you were given a copy of the contract you signed, which you most likely threw away or lost. If you took the time to read it, assuming you can read, you'd see that it was, infact, a CONTRACT which you promised to pay and are responsible for paying. Start acting like adults, take responsibility for your own actions and quit blaming everyone else for your own stupidity.

Well, I tried to cancel on the internet and anytime fitness and was told the only way to cancel was at the branch I signed up for. No big deal, I picked up the phone and talked with the girl there, she looked up the account and said I was all set.

This was April 21st. I was charged on May 3rd, which I figured would happen, once again no big deal. Now I just got charged again on June 3rd, got nailed with an overdraft fee. Obviously this company is a joke.

Especially after reading the comments on this site. Im gonna have to go down there and throw a tantrum I guess and cause a scene.

Got to do something to add some stress to somebody's day to make my 64 bucks they stole from me worth it. This is the Saint Clair Shores Michigan store by the way.

REALLY???? DUH. You have a contract. As others have pointed out just stop paying doesn't work! That's like saying "oh, I don't want my house anymore, so I will just move and stop paying" or maybe "hmm - that dinner on my credit card is long gone, I think I'll stop paying".

Directions that should help you:

Engage brain, THEN act.

The CEO of Snap Fitness Peter Taunton was convicted of swindle, not Chuck Runyon, CEO of Anytime Fitness. Peter just swiped all of Chuck's strategies for success to start Snap Fitness after Anytime began to have success at selling tons of franchisees with a business model that was illegal in most states.

Also, AF relies on ABC Financial to hammer their members with fees and charges. These companies have a lot in common.

This occurs on a regular basis. There is no motivation for management or lazy employees to check the reason when a billing does not go through.

Most of these clubs are losing money anyway so a couple extra months of billing always helps. Checkfree will hammer you with fees and extra charges along with Snap Fitness and threaten your credit as well.

What would you expect if your CEO has been convicted of swindle? Read the complaints on all the websites including this one and you will see the potential for financial disaster for both members and club owners.

Wow - are you serious? You thought that your expired credit card would be enough???

It's truly amazing how many fitness club employees embellish, lie, deceive and misrepresent something as easy as a club membership. It has been done, continues to be done and will happen in the future.

Unethical business practices have been around a long time and will continue with this particular business model. Anytime Fitness s_cks at service, billing and anything resembling consistency.

Paying in advance is the kiss of death. BUYER BEWARE!

IT IS TRULY AMAZING HOW SO MANY PEOPLE TODAY EXPECT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING, OR EXPECTS CONTRACTS NOT TO BE FULFILLED. MOST PEOPLE TODAY WANTS TO BLAME ANYTHING AND EVERYONE ELSE FOR THEIR MISTAKES AND TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS.

Sha Tin, Hong Kong, Hong Kong #169753

NO, YOU SUCK Mr. Corporate poster, Chuck Runyon, CEO has allowed this to occur in his company for years.

Part-time, untrained sales staff do not inform new members of all of the nuances of the agreement, take advantage of them and embellish or make up *** along the way to make their freakin commission. Anytime Fitness and Snap Fitness both use a third party billing company (ABC financial in this case, Checkfree for Snap) to try and insulate them from the negative publicity. They consistently use this to their advantage to extract additional fees, dues and revenue from unsuspecting members. This was obvious while I was involved and one of the reasons why I am no longer.

Between employee errors, lack of management oversight, corporate issues and the billing company involvement, it is almost guaranteed you will pay more than what you agreed to. BE PREPARED FOR THE MASS CLOSINGS OF BOTH FRANCHISES IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

Besides a weak business model and crappy customer service most 24/7 clubs throughout the country are performing business contrary to the current state, county and city laws and regulations. BUYER BEWARE!

So, you just stopped paying and thought that would be okay? Sounds like you are a ***.

Every gym contract ever written requires 30 days written notice.

Get a grip on realty jack@ss.

Sha Tin, Hong Kong, Hong Kong #136675

It's all about making $$$. Customer service is thrown out the window with this business model, especially when it is time to resign.

They NEED and will DEMAND every CENT owed them to help sustain their losing venture. Like many other 24 hour club franchisees, they got sucked into a franchise and are learning the hard way about how challenging the fitness industry can be. The corporates are making BANK while franchisees are wiping out. Recession proof?

RIGHT! Profitable? RIGHT! Easy?

RIGHT! They are trying to survive with an impossible business model. If they are perfrorming business like this, they must be close to going under. Hear that?

It's the circling sound around the drain. Won't be long now!