Wenatchee, Washington

I joined Anytime Fitness in October - actually I never signed a contract as a friend signed me up (with my permission) on a day I was out of town. I went down the next day and gave my voided check.

Three months go by and they don't take my payment out. I go in each month to ask about it. Finally on 12/16 the owner calls to say he lost my voided check and would need my account number again but that he would not charge me for the previous 3 months. I gave it to him - like an ***.

Then I went to talk to him personally about this being an issue for me as he'd admitted he'd left it on his computer at Anytime fitness - right out in the open - as he doesn't have an office - just a desk by the door. So I told him that I might cancel. He said to just let him know. The next day I took a letter of cancellation in and suggested that I would not think I should have to pay a cancellation fee because I would now be having to close my bank account and open a new one, order new checks and change all my online banking accounts over.

He called screaming at me about this, how my letter was rude and that he'd explained to me that the check couldn't be "used" because it was voided. I tried to explain again that with the routing number and account number a person can access that account - especially online. I finally hung up on him rather than listen to his yelling. I tried calling him back later thinking he'd have cooled down and he said that he was sending me a bill for over $200 because I hung up on him.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. He doesn't have my address so I'm not sure how he will send me the bill.

Do I have to take him to court if he tried to bill me or take money out of the account? I didn't sign the contract - does that help me or him?

Comments

Go to Bluemaumau and look up "Anytime Fitness or Snap Fitness" and read what is happening to the 24 hour clubs in regards to staffing, tanning and CPR/AED requirements. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face! :grin

You shouldn't have to worry since you did not sign their paperwork. The good think is that you are one of the lucky ones since Anytime fitness did not have your account information...that would have turned into a nightmare for you. Because if they did have that authorization to draw money from your account, they will not stop drawing money until you change you account or get so frustrated trying to cancel your membership.

My experience was that payments were made from my debit card...and after a year I decided to cancel my membership since I have health issues and work schedule conflict. They said that I signed for three years and that they need a doctors note stating why. I wrote them a letter that medical information is private and that I can not give them that information. They did not respond and still kept trying to draw money from my account even when they did not get the authorization after changes in my bank account. After a $75 dollars posting debiting my account, I called my bank that there was a unauthorized debit to my account and I was told that the Anytime fitness tried 13 times ina span of three weeks trying to draw different amounts in my account. Anytime fitness was unsucessfull and they called me after the bank denied their claim and is still billing me different amounts each time.

I holding up until they take me to court so I don't have to pay attorney fees.

They are a big corporate scam!!!