Did not know I was paying Anytime Fitness to join a church!!!

732 of 802 Anytime Fitness reviews

The mgmt of the Anytime Fitness in Bedford, Raleigh, NC apparently does not know the difference between living their faith and imposing it. Having heard stories about the 2 managers proselytizing, I never thought much of it until I walked into the gym and heard Christian rock music playing! In confronting one of the managers, he told me that it was in response to parents being concerned about the vulgar music on some of the more popular radio channels.

After pointing out that there are lots of radio stations that are very child friendly but are not religious in nature, that they are alienating people/members that are not of their faith and that it is a freaking gym and NOT a church, I was told they would look into it and NOTHING has been done.

I will be cancelling my membership today!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 4 Yes 4
732 of 802 Anytime Fitness reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in

Apr 07 #1141232

Stop persecuting the poor christians. Everyone is taking away their rights these days. They don't even have the right to tell everyone else how to live. They can't openly discriminate. What is the world coming to?

1 0 Reply
mmm

Sep 14, 2013 #716704

Be VERY glad that you are NOT in Utah. Life there is a living *** IF you are not a so called "member" of the Mormons. They do not leave you alone, and treat you like *** if you don't join them.The best thing to come out of UT was the interstate. The happiest day of my life was when I left. Free at last, free at last, thank god I am free at last. :)

3 1 Reply
mattswagg

Sep 14, 2013 #716703 Smyrna, Tennessee, United States

Ok to be fair the gym offers a free week trial at least all the anytime fitness gyms I've been to do so if u have any common sense you could have tried the gym b4 to see if you liked it or not. Publicly complaining about music of all things is just a waste of time plus its not like u can't bring you headphones and listen to your own music. The same way you dislike the "church music" a lot of people who are really serious about religion dislike secular or worldly music... funny how they are smart enought to just go workout and bring headphones. So stop complaining its really not even that big a problem

6 8 Reply
Jman

Nov 30, 2011 #383055

I currently live in Charlotte but I have visited the Anytime Fitness in Bedford. The staff that works there, are the nicest people in the world. They would help anyone out who was in a bind. I know for a fact they donate alot of their time to hospitals, schools, and churches. The YMCA's were founded on Christian beleifs and so was this Country! Regardless of your religion, this gym is welcoming and inviting to all. Its a family friendly atmoshphere. I think we all can agree that its difficult to pick one music station and make everyone happy. But if you take the time to get to know these guys and it will make you want to be a better person regardless of what you believe in.

6 9 Reply

May 21, 2015 #987131

Do your research. The country was NOT founded on religion at all. It was actually suppose to be the opposite !
God was forced into the government in the 50s as a way to alienate Russia !

6 3 Reply

Jan 13 #1093914

People have no clue about the actual history of the country. Just believe whatever the churches keep telling you.

3 0 Reply
um..ok

Nov 09, 2011 #371981

Wow, its kinda funny how people use 'dictionary language' when the bible is concerned. It seems like the hippie guy is upset about Christian music being played while he runs on a treadmill. I don't recall ever seeing signs outside of ANY fitness club, public or private, banning the use of headphones and ipods. It's just as easy to walk out then to have a useless argument online. What if this website were to stream Christian music in the background? Would you still use this forum to complain...yeah, you probably would...I assume..

8 7 Reply
um..ok

Nov 09, 2011 #371980

0 3 Reply
Dallaslife

Nov 09, 2011 #371972

To correct an earlier post, Anytime Fitness is NOT a public gym. It is private where only members have access.

I have been in gyms and they all play different music. Some I like, some not. You will never please everyone.

If you have something against God or don't like Christian music then do what everyone else does. Bring earbuds and listen to something else.

Seriously, what an ignorant cry baby.

7 6 Reply

Oct 26, 2014 #890897

Exactly! Its a private business, they can chose to run it as they wish and refuse membership to anyone they wish. If you don't like the music, bring your own as many have stated or cancel. No one is forcing you to stay, unless you signed a contract, oops. Plus the person you are complaining to probably doesn't have the option to change the music if that's what the owners want playing. Think outside of yourself for a change.

0 3 Reply
Justwantedaworkout

Jan 03, 2011 #231330

Its a PRIVATE gym, thats why you pay to go there, the owners can play what they like. Deal with it or go someplace else. Better yet, use those cool new things called headphones. Its a free country. Do you have a problem with the Constitution or God? If don't believe in God then what harm can He do to you? If you just hate Him then you need to settle your differences with Him and just work out.

2 4 Reply
OPLARMENTIS

Nov 11, 2010 #210230

TYPE-O-CORRECTION..............

"Christian music, or ANY religious music or even any thing that promotes it should N O T be found in a PUBLIC gym. NOW,if the gym advertised itself and promoted it self as a Christian Gym where you will find the love of God...then fine..I, as the consumer know forth right that if I join this" particular" gym I know I can expect to hear and see religious things."

forgot the word NOT be found in a public gym....%^ )

2 4 Reply

Oct 26, 2014 #890898

Not a public gym.... government buildings and public parks and streets are public, not Private businesses, which by law is just an extension of the Owner's home.

0 0 Reply
OPLARMENTIS

Nov 11, 2010 #210227

Jmshw ,

I am in TOTAL agreement with you. I DO call myself a devout, Christ loving Christian and I know the Bible tells us Christians that we are to PLANT SEEDS...not BEAT others into belief.

Christian music, or ANY religious music or even any thing that promotes it should be found in a PUBLIC gym. NOW,if the gym advertised itself and promoted it self as a Christian Gym where you will find the love of God...then fine..I, as the consumer know forth right that if I join this" particular" gym I know I can expect to hear and see religious things.

The same goes for ANYTHING...if I want to see or hear about something I need to "look" for it...not have it forced upon me!!!

God bless America!! and you too Jmshw !!

3 2 Reply
jmshw

Oct 14, 2010 #200344 Bastrop, Texas, United States

John and jombie – funny how you have the exact same comment, but no matter.

As with most people responding to my comment, you are at trying to label me in a way that is at best an incorrect assumption based on your ignorance and prejudices or at worst a lie to justify your position.

Either way, I am not a “hippie”, I am not offended by any form of religious music and I am not intolerant of anyone believing what they want.

Also, are assumptions and name calling all you have as a defense of your position??? Pathetic!!

I will say AGAIN for the 3rd time, ‘Believe what you want, just don’t try to impose it on me or others outside your faith (any faith)!!! One would think that this would be obvious at a gym, but apparently NOT!’

2 2 Reply
jombie

Oct 13, 2010 #200238

jmshw, Would you have been offended by Jewish or Islamic music? Or you just Christian intolerant?
I thought you hippies were supposed to be tolerant?

0 5 Reply
John

Oct 13, 2010 #200237

jmshw, would you have been offended by Jewish or Islamic music? I thought you hippies were supposed to be tolerant.

0 4 Reply
jmshw

Oct 08, 2010 #198317 Bastrop, Texas, United States

Roger- I am none of those things, but thanks for the incorrect assumptions and lies. I am just someone that wants to go to the gym without being imposed upon by someone else’s VERSION of what faith is. You talk as though even all Christians think alike and this too is an incorrect assumption. Regarding ***, my idea of *** is spending eternity with people like you and dave, both of which in this comment stream have done nothing but assume and/or lie and have done your best to deviate away from the topic at hand which is that a gym IS NOT a church.

I will say it again for people like you too *** to understand, ‘Believe what you want, just don’t try to impose it on me or others outside your faith. One would think that this would be obvious at a gym, but apparently NOT!’

0 0 Reply
Roger

Oct 07, 2010 #198071 Chicora, Pennsylvania, United States

I guess this is either a Jew or a Muslim. Maybe even an Atheist. None the less, this guy won't be going to heaven since he either is a god hating hippy, a dradel spinning banker, or a falafel stand owner.

0 4 Reply
roger

Oct 07, 2010 #198045

The Christian faith is responsible for far more deaths than any from the legalization of abortion.

American Christians are no better than Mideast Muslims. No better.

2 3 Reply

1-20 of 22 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.