39.4K views
Resolved

I have been a member for over a year and have paid all of my membership dues up front. I have never let anyone use my key or let someone else into the gym in my whole 12+ months of membership. With that said I let my girlfriend use my key TWICE out of my whole 12+ months of membership because she was relocating with me and thinking about switching gyms. We both work nights, so we use our gyms at night time which is past operating hours thus the reason for not being able to get permission for a guest to accompany me. I have no prior incidents or complaints from management in all of my 12+ months of membership. She just wanted to check out the gym and see what it had to offer and if she liked it, then she was going to sign up. She did like it and had every intention of signing up until what followed.

The events that followed were a $250 charge and being locked out of the gym with no explanation, phone call or warning from the owner or management. I was treated like a child and a criminal when I went to the gym and asked why I was locked out and not given any reason aside from the manager on duty saying "You need to call the owner Dede". I have never violated any rules, paid my dues upfront and in full, re-rack all my weights and pick up after others, so I feel as a valued gym member I would be given the benefit of the doubt. I couldn't even receive the decency for the owner to call me and simply say "Hey, who is this person you're letting into my gym? If it happens again I'm going to charge you $250 and lock you out for x amount of time" or to even call me and let me explain. I could understand if I let someone in 4-5 days a week and was exploiting the gym for some time and be treated this way, but it was TWO times and the first offense in over a year of membership with no prior incidents. I did call and I explained what was going on, but I was met with yelling and lecturing instead of an adult conversation when I called the owner up. I've read my contract and see what it says, but the same way the owner said "you should have called me and asked to bring a guest", you should have called me and explained why I was being charged instead of playing the game of charge the member $250, lock them out and then have them call me once they've taken time out of their day to figure out what heck happened. I was told how my losing $250 was nothing compared to her $30,000 in bills that she has. The end result was Dede keeping my $250 and trying to extort money from me by having my girlfriend sign up, then she would refund me after she pocketed a $720 gym membership out of her.

Now I'm out $250, have a remaining membership at a gym I do not wish to use any longer and they most likely will not let me break contract. The owner, Dede, then tried extorting money out of my girlfriend by having me tell her to sign up then she would refund the $250 penalty. Why would anyone want to deal with someone like this for another 12-18 months? Why should I refer anyone here when an owner acts in such a manner? You’re going to hold my money hostage unless I have someone sign up at your gym and give you more money? You’re committing extortion at this point, very professional. I'll just stick it out and once my contract is up along with my 6 friends I had sign up a year ago, we'll take our $4600 worth of renewals to Life Time Fitness in 5 months. Thank you for being so pleasant and easy to deal with, Dede.

Review about: Anytime Fitness Membership.

Had an Experience with Anytime Fitness?

Comments

Yes, you did break the rules, but the manner in which the gym owner behaved is completely unprofessional and childish. I would definitely cancel my membership and refuse to pay a *** cent to break contract. Threaten to take it to small claims court, they'll most likely puss out since it would cost them about as much in court fees as the amount they are attempting to extort from you.

Seriously?

This is ridiculous.I've no idea where you get your sense of entitlement from.

Your contract with the gym is between YOU and the gym. Consideration (gym usage) is extended only to you when the contract was made. NOT your girlfriend. When you brought her in it was essentially fraud/trespassing.

Complete nonsense that you think you should be allowed to get away from it just because you "never violated any rules, paid your dues upfront and in full, rerack all [your] weights and pick up after others". " I'm glad you know those are your "dues" so i don't know why you would expect to get some benefit just because you paid them "upfront and in full" (my toes laughed as I read that). And did anywhere in your contract say that you will be allowed to violate the terms if you simply pick up after others? If yes please tell me where your gym is at because I'd like to go there and pick up weights too then invite my family, friends, colleagues, teammates and past classmates to the gym too.

You should be glad they didn't call the police on you.

In fact, I'm glad too, I wouldn't want the prison to have to deal with people like you.

I can already imagine you demanding that your cellmate be released with you if you get released on the basis of good behaviour."I always picked up the soap bars!!".

That is what you get when you steal, you paid for yourself to enter the gym not your girl friend.Would it be ok to say that you went to Walmart everyday for a year and only stole 2 items, no!

It is dishonest and you should put yourself in the shoes of the owner, you are taking money out of his pocket.If someone took money from your paycheck I am sure you would be upset too no matter how few of times it occurred.

Your excuse of " We both work nights, so we use our gyms at night time which is past operating hours thus the reason for not being able to get permission for a guest to accompany me" doesn't really fly considering you later admit that you could have called to ask for permission.

You broke the rules twice.

They punished you for it.

No problem here.Next time pick up the phone.

"I have never violated any rules." Except when you let a non-member into the gym using your key... Maybe follow the rules at your next gym.

Galveston, Indiana, United States #1355584

You could have set up an appointment for after hours.

Dallas, Oregon, United States #1349691

Remember when you signed up and "agreed" to the rules.You broke the rules and were fined by the gym just as you would have been if you ran a red light in front of an officer.

It really bothers me to see people like you bad mouthing a company when you are in the wrong and know it. Yes they could have given you a pass on the infraction just as an officer can just give you a warning about speeding but, to expect the officer to let you off and then bad mouth him would be "ignorant" of the law. As a long standing member of gyms I know that people do take advantage of them in the manner that you just complained about. If you had gone to the owner and explained to her the situation "before" breaking the rules not after, then you would have avoided the fine and lock out.

*** the bullet, accept your responsibility.

I am getting so tired of this entitlement society and people that feel the rules could not possible be meant for them.GROW UP!!

Magna, Utah, United States #1328470

The complaining member stole service from the gym.The member had no right to sneak his GF into the gym.

The ironic thing is that if he would have come through the front door (instead of sneaking in during after hours), the manager would have happily given the GF a free week pass. I don't feel sorry for this member. If every member behaved the same way, the club could not offer the convenient, 24-hour policy for everyone.

I hope this member never returns to Anytime.They don't need his business.

Somers, Connecticut, United States #1327853

Stop whinning. You knew the rules. People like you fill our highways n st a team beggar lines n think they r victimd

to Anonymous #1372466