Anytime Fitness - Charged a penalty fee and treated like a criminal for letting GF use keycard TWICE, then attempts were made to extort money

433 of 802 Anytime Fitness reviews

I have been a member for over a year and have paid all of my membership dues up front. I have never let anyone use my key or let someone else into the gym in my whole 12+ months of membership. With that said I let my girlfriend use my key TWICE out of my whole 12+ months of membership because she was relocating with me and thinking about switching gyms. We both work nights, so we use our gyms at night time which is past operating hours thus the reason for not being able to get permission for a guest to accompany me. I have no prior incidents or complaints from management in all of my 12+ months of membership. She just wanted to check out the gym and see what it had to offer and if she liked it, then she was going to sign up. She did like it and had every intention of signing up until what followed.

The events that followed were a $250 charge and being locked out of the gym with no explanation, phone call or warning from the owner or management. I was treated like a child and a criminal when I went to the gym and asked why I was locked out and not given any reason aside from the manager on duty saying "You need to call the owner Dede". I have never violated any rules, paid my dues upfront and in full, re-rack all my weights and pick up after others, so I feel as a valued gym member I would be given the benefit of the doubt. I couldn't even receive the decency for the owner to call me and simply say "Hey, who is this person you're letting into my gym? If it happens again I'm going to charge you $250 and lock you out for x amount of time" or to even call me and let me explain. I could understand if I let someone in 4-5 days a week and was exploiting the gym for some time and be treated this way, but it was TWO times and the first offense in over a year of membership with no prior incidents. I did call and I explained what was going on, but I was met with yelling and lecturing instead of an adult conversation when I called the owner up. I've read my contract and see what it says, but the same way the owner said "you should have called me and asked to bring a guest", you should have called me and explained why I was being charged instead of playing the game of charge the member $250, lock them out and then have them call me once they've taken time out of their day to figure out what heck happened. I was told how my losing $250 was nothing compared to her $30,000 in bills that she has. The end result was Dede keeping my $250 and trying to extort money from me by having my girlfriend sign up, then she would refund me after she pocketed a $720 gym membership out of her.

Now I'm out $250, have a remaining membership at a gym I do not wish to use any longer and they most likely will not let me break contract. The owner, Dede, then tried extorting money out of my girlfriend by having me tell her to sign up then she would refund the $250 penalty. Why would anyone want to deal with someone like this for another 12-18 months? Why should I refer anyone here when an owner acts in such a manner? You’re going to hold my money hostage unless I have someone sign up at your gym and give you more money? You’re committing extortion at this point, very professional. I'll just stick it out and once my contract is up along with my 6 friends I had sign up a year ago, we'll take our $4600 worth of renewals to Life Time Fitness in 5 months. Thank you for being so pleasant and easy to deal with, Dede.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

433 of 802 Anytime Fitness reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
Jay

Oct 29 #1233637

This was a dumb complaint. You took a picture during sign ups for SECURITY REASONS. Of course they will watch ALL the cameras that they have in the stores while the staff are no longer in operation during the night. If your girlfriend wanted to see the gym, she could have gone on a tour herself like every other adult that is 18+ and is interested in private gyms that are 24 hours. If she went to the tour, she would even have had a 7 day pass for herself. The fact that you are blaming everything on the Gym and said "you didn't violate any of the rules in your 12+ months membership" is complete *** and childish lol. You break the rules, you get caught and you will face the consequences. You also agreed to a probably 2 year contract with the gym so you have no choice in breaking it, its called terms of agreement. Next time, just go to the playground where you and your little friends are allowed anytime (until it closes). Grow up!

4 3 Reply

Oct 28 #1233155 Kansas City, Missouri, United States

So you violated the terms of your agreement, not once but twice, and are butthurt for being fined and held accountable for that violation? Do you understand that you agreed not to do the very thing you did on two different occasions? Do you understand that you agreed to the fines and penalties imposed if you get caught doing the very thing you agreed not to do? Do you understand that you are not entitled to ignore the rules at your discretion? Do you understand that you are not a child but will most certainly be treated like one when you choose to act like one?
Do you understand that YOU are in the wrong; not the gym, not management, and *** sure not the owner.
Grow up and get over yourself.

4 1 Reply

Aug 28 #1204737

I would not do business with these liberal wankers.

4 2 Reply

Mar 07 #1123474

You are a criminal, it is called theft of services.

6 20 Reply

Feb 06 #1107459

Was going to sign up, not anymore...thanks for posting this.

7 3 Reply
AnytimeFitnessAL3

Feb 04 #1106187

Anytime Fitness verified representative

Sorry, this never happened. Everything listed was against management policy and no one is going to fine you $250 sight unseen. This is a scam.

5 9 Reply
AnytimeFitnessAL3

Feb 04 #1106214

Anytime Fitness verified representative

...and on further thought, Anytime fitness is not "a" gym. It is a membership to ALL Anytime Fitness gyms. As such, the member can go to any other nearby gym and never talk to Dede again. better still, after 60 days at that other gym the membership *follows* the member to that new gym without any action on their part thus solving the problem. This is either an entirely fabricated account or the member is upset about some other issue and is trying to do the company harm.

4 6 Reply

Jan 31 #1104117

yep you're a ***, and the reason why gym membership prices go up.

6 7 Reply

Jan 29 #1103055

You are an ***. I don't want to be attacked by some non-member. You were wrong, wrong, wrong.

5 7 Reply

Jan 08 #1091083

when you sign up they specifically tell you don't ever let anyone use your key and always swipe in. otherwise you will be charged... she should have gotten a guest pass. yeah they might have been a little harsh but you were at fault too. sorry bro.

10 4 Reply

Dec 07, 2015 #1075197

Are you kidding me? You should have called asked management or owner instead of sneaking in your girlfriend! Buy a gym and see if you allow that to happen. Your doors would be shut in no time. And your means of living would stop. Do you get a paycheck? I'm glad Dede charged you $250 . I will start doing that at my gym!!!

14 10 Reply

Aug 28 #1204725 Middleton, Idaho, United States

My Anytime Fitness let's you know that I'd you sneak someone in, there will be a $75 charge included on your next bill.
That said, you can have someone come during the day.

0 3 Reply

Sep 23, 2015 #1038061 Orange, California, United States

Basically when you act like a child you get treated like a child, you broke the rules and you are suffering the consequences. How could you not know you did wrong, a five year old would know better.

13 12 Reply

Sep 23, 2015 #1038027

Generally when one acts like a child they are treated like one.

12 12 Reply

Aug 17, 2015 #1020745

So you broke your contract and are butthurt. Got it.

18 10 Reply

Jul 17, 2015 #1008692

I was about to sign up lol. Never mind

15 11 Reply

Sep 23, 2015 #1038063

Sign away, don't let a five year old who broke the rules and suffered the consequences deter you. You won't have issues like this little boy did if you follow the rules.

8 20 Reply
Renegado

Nov 19, 2014 #902976 Corvallis, Oregon, United States

Yes, you did break rules. You let your GF use you access without notifying management. Had you done so (like you said, simple as a phone call) they could have made an exception. You can't get mad because they are enforcing their own rules - which is clearly stated in your contract.
Source - AF member for over a year

23 20 Reply

1-20 of 39 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Anytime Fitness. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Anytime Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×