Dallas, Texas

I have been trying since my brother was killed in an automobile accident to cancel my membership. My local club was not helpful and did not provide me with all the information to cancel my membership which also included my brother.

I have been charged another months fees including my deceased brother's membership and am now being told that I must pay out of the contract. This is a very difficult time for my family and I and this company is not taking any steps to make my life a little less hellish. I can't believe that they are tormenting us further. I am also paying for my mother's membership.

Clearly we are all devastated by these recent events. My mother can barely get out of bed much less exercise at a gym where we all spent time together.

I am very sad and disappointed at their lack of compassion on both the local level here is Waxahachie, but also the corporate level with their billing company, ABC. I will never join a gym again!

Product or Service Mentioned: Anytime Fitness Membership.

Comments

#194375

Thanks Jim, obviously from Anytime Fitness corporate office! Your compassion and empathy is overwhelming!

Keep your membership? It happened to me? You are obligated!

Membership is still valid! Please go back to your fantasy cubicle world...don't worry, you'll receive the "employee of the month" award for the post below.

#192687

I am sincerely sorry for your loss, but with all due respect, why would you want to cancel your membership just because your brother died. Exercise is exactly what you (and your mother) to fight the depression of such a loss.

I lost my brother too, but working out was one of the best things I did to keep me going.

Your brother died - not you - so, yes, your obligation to continue paying for your membership is still valid. Almost any other club would do the same thing.

Are you serious Wu? His brother died and was included in the contract so why is it fair that he still pay dues for a deceased family member? You must be part of the *** that run this operation.

Sorry your brother died, but this is a LIFE issue, not an ANYTIME FITNESS issue. You're still bound by your contract, and excersize would probably do you some good.

Well, so much for considering joining an AnytimeFitness club. Thank's for the heads up story.

Funny the manager never bothered to look for or discipline the "bad apple".

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. You know, the way I see it is that I learned a valuable lesson and can, hopefully, prevent someone else from going through this situation.

I believe that there are no mistakes, only opportunities to become a better person. I had to go through this for a reason and I know that I am a stronger and wiser person now.

Update: They finally stopped charging my account after I paid them another 187.06. I made sure to pay the six cents in pennies.

I lost my sister and didn't go to the gym for over 4 months. I played sports for jr.

college and stopped everything! I cannot believe those jerks. it is a tough world be live in. At a time like this for you, you cannot get a break.

It's not like you even want to go now after the rudeness these people are showing. I am so sorry! I am so bummed i just joined. I am going to TRY to cancel now since apparently it will take a long time!

I hope you are doing ok! Best wishes!

sorry for your loss. good luck .

sorry for your loss. good luck .

A big applause for the Anytime Fitness manager posing as "Fitness club manager" below representing, confirming and EXCUSING the decisions of his fellow manager. Patronizing, although it does provide a great deal of entertainment, should be minimized to help support the illusion of unbiased opinions.

Please use some of your valuable time to scour the pages of complaints and comments on this website as well as the many others that provide 24 hour club members and franchisees a forum to share their experiences which have fallen well short of their expectations. Thanks for the LAUGH!

Fitness club manager - or Anytime Fitness corporate???

I have been reading some of these comments. As a club manager I have heard many people tell me lies to get out of contracts.

However, under this situation the individual should be able to freeze her account for a few months and her brother removed from the account. According to the contract he is no longer obligated to pay on the contract.

Also understand that there are many issues that come across the desk of the gym manager and some may get over looked or a phone number may get written down wrong and so a call may not get returned. Many people will start complaining before allowing time for a situation to be rectified.

Since franchises are individually owned, then sometimes a bad apple can spoil the bunch.

I know of a few club managers that are not very pleasant, however that is not how I choose to run my clubs.

These forums are a great place for people to vent. However, an experience at 1 club should not represent all clubs.

That is disgusting!!!! I cannot believe they can be so disconnected and heartless on this matter!

I lost a brother last year, I know what you are going through and how you feel. :) :(

My heart goes out to you and your family. A compassionate fitness club owner would at least offer 3-6 months off without payment and/or the option to resign outright. Sure, they lose money but when you are ready to come back, where would you and your family want to go? How about all the people you would tell how great they were for taking care of you in a challenging time?

The mind set ingrained into 24 hour fitness club franchisees starts with the franchisors! They "learn the ropes" in their "business training" and "indoctrination of principles" which are all motivated and driven by greed.

The pitch is they are here to help people change their lives and get healthy. Corporate is all about making money which in turn influences the franchisees to emulate them. Once franchisees are invested and realize how difficult the business really is, it's too late and they have to battle for every penny because it is money they are subsidzing and not profit. This is a vicious cycle being played out all over the country, and soon the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Go to Bluemaumau and look up "Anytime Fitness or Snap Fitness" and read what is happening to the 24 hour clubs in regards to staffing, tanning and CPR/AED requirements. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face! :grin