Olive Branch, Mississippi

I initially signed a 6-month agreement with the location in Olive Branch, MS, which went month-to-month after the agreement was over. I gave them a 30 day notice of my cancellation and they continued to bill me for 4 more months.

My AmEx card refunded my money immediately, but their collection company, ABC Financial, continued to call me. It took me calling their corporate office in Michigan and speaking to an exec to get them off my back. I threatened legal action against the local franchise and Anytime Fitness, Inc. According to their corporate officer, this particular franchise has its issues.

They apologized and assured me that the location in Olive Branch, MS, would cease and desist.

I am sure most locations aren't like this one, but I would be very careful when doing business with this particular franchise. The young girl who works the desk spends most of her time on FaceBook, so that could be part of the problem.

Comments

Hello Alex and PC Readers,

Please place "ABC Financial" into your browser or the search on pissedconsumer and I think the truth will be revealed. Fitness clubs do not want to be the "bad guys" so they "hire out" this portion of their business to capture the highest percentage of dues, fees and additional charges as possible.

These companies receive a percentage of all charges collected so their level of empathy is quite limited. Alex, in his zeal to do his best to represent, will eventually be moving on as these companies have "turnstile" employees.

The turnover is EXTREMELY high due to the daily stress, pressure of collecting and ruthless tactics used on members who just want their membership dues to end. Although it is a nice gesture, these companies are always late for the game.

Both as consumer and an employee of ABC Financial Services, I regret to hear that your experience with our company resulted in receiving additional charges. Paying extra for a service that you believed discontinued is never a pleasant discovery. Most health clubs require cancellations be submitted in writing, many times preferably certified mail or email, as this enables both the consumer and business owner to track the exact date of your request, preventing from additional billing occurring.

A successful business will always generate publicity, both positive and negative. As a company, it is important to us to address both positive and negative reviews and research each situation to ensure the outcome was fair to both the business and the consumer. The sole reason for a health club to use third party billing is for the efficiency it provides allowing the employees to focus on how to operate their facility.

Should you have any additional comments please feel free to contact me directly at 1-800-622-6290 Ext. 1804 or email at alexm@abcfinancial.com

Alex Mena

ABC Financial Services

Data Research Analyst

Anytime and Snap both use a third party billing company to try and insulate them from the negative publicity. They consistently use this to their advantage to extract additional fees, dues and revenue from unsuspecting members.

This was obvious while I was involved and one of the reasons why I am no longer. Between employee errors, lack of management oversight, corporate issues and the billing company involvement, it is almost guaranteed you will pay more than what you agreed to.

It's all about making $$$. Customer service is thrown out the window with this business model, especially when it is time to resign.

(Anytime Fitness with ABC Financial and Snap Fitness with Checkfree) They NEED and will DEMAND every CENT owed them to help sustain their losing venture. Like many other 24 hour club franchisees, they got sucked into a franchise and are learning the hard way about how challenging the fitness industry can be. The corporates are making BANK while franchisees are wiping out. Recession proof?

RIGHT! Profitable? RIGHT! Easy?

RIGHT! If they are performing business like this, they must be close to going under. Hear that?

It's the circling sound around the drain. Won't be long now!