Anytime Fitness - Charged a penalty fee and treated like a criminal for letting GF use keycard TWICE, then attempts were made to extort money
I have been a member for over a year and have paid all of my membership dues up front. I have never let anyone use my key or let someone else into the gym in my whole 12+ months of membership. With that said I let my girlfriend use my key TWICE out of my whole 12+ months of membership because she was relocating with me and thinking about switching gyms. We both work nights, so we use our gyms at night time which is past operating hours thus the reason for not being able to get permission for a guest to accompany me. I have no prior incidents or complaints from management in all of my 12+ months of membership. She just wanted to check out the gym and see what it had to offer and if she liked it, then she was going to sign up. She did like it and had every intention of signing up until what followed.
The events that followed were a $250 charge and being locked out of the gym with no explanation, phone call or warning from the owner or management. I was treated like a child and a criminal when I went to the gym and asked why I was locked out and not given any reason aside from the manager on duty saying "You need to call the owner Dede". I have never violated any rules, paid my dues upfront and in full, re-rack all my weights and pick up after others, so I feel as a valued gym member I would be given the benefit of the doubt. I couldn't even receive the decency for the owner to call me and simply say "Hey, who is this person you're letting into my gym? If it happens again I'm going to charge you $250 and lock you out for x amount of time" or to even call me and let me explain. I could understand if I let someone in 4-5 days a week and was exploiting the gym for some time and be treated this way, but it was TWO times and the first offense in over a year of membership with no prior incidents. I did call and I explained what was going on, but I was met with yelling and lecturing instead of an adult conversation when I called the owner up. I've read my contract and see what it says, but the same way the owner said "you should have called me and asked to bring a guest", you should have called me and explained why I was being charged instead of playing the game of charge the member $250, lock them out and then have them call me once they've taken time out of their day to figure out what heck happened. I was told how my losing $250 was nothing compared to her $30,000 in bills that she has. The end result was Dede keeping my $250 and trying to extort money from me by having my girlfriend sign up, then she would refund me after she pocketed a $720 gym membership out of her.
Now I'm out $250, have a remaining membership at a gym I do not wish to use any longer and they most likely will not let me break contract. The owner, Dede, then tried extorting money out of my girlfriend by having me tell her to sign up then she would refund the $250 penalty. Why would anyone want to deal with someone like this for another 12-18 months? Why should I refer anyone here when an owner acts in such a manner? You’re going to hold my money hostage unless I have someone sign up at your gym and give you more money? You’re committing extortion at this point, very professional. I'll just stick it out and once my contract is up along with my 6 friends I had sign up a year ago, we'll take our $4600 worth of renewals to Life Time Fitness in 5 months. Thank you for being so pleasant and easy to deal with, Dede.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Customer Service
- Review category
- Fitness Centers
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "I've been a member for over 1 year at Snap Fitness. Several months ago I responded to a survey. I reported that several times the bathrooms were out of..."
- "The mgmt of the Anytime Fitness in Bedford, Raleigh, NC apparently does not know the difference between living their faith and imposing it. Having heard stories about the 2 managers..."
- "Bally Total Fitness Membership cancellations should be made possible in person, by phone or by e-mail. Cancellation at Bally is only possible through US postal mail which allows Bally Total..."
- "So i brought an $20 and $10 burger king gift card and received an email from WALMARTONLINE@e-deliverygroup.com saying to click on link to "view/send giftcard" i went onto the link..."
- "I have been with Rise Broadband for 6 years now. Everything was great until Rise Broadband bought out Digis. As soon as that happened my speeds took a nosedive. I..."
- "I would give a negative rating if it would let me!!! I paid $45 for a box of strawberries with melted chocolate!! This was for my God Daughter who just..."