Anytime Fitness: A Bogus Cancellation Policy

I signed up at the Anytime Fitness (club 1596) in Waukesha, WI (901 Meadowbrook Road) on 4/20/09. The contract stated that I was signing up for 15 months. I paid in full on my credit card: an amount of $486.11. As per the written contract, this membership ended on 7/20/10. I used the fitness center for about 8 months, then I bought some of my own equipment to put in my house and I stopped going to the fitness center sometime around 12/09.

I pretty much forgot about the membership until I got a packet in the mail from ABC Financial Services on 7/6/10. They decided to extend my contract and switch my billing to monthly statements.

I immediately called ABC Financial Services and they told me I needed to call the local club to handle membership cancellations. I called the local club office and spoke to Stephanie Stencil. She, along with the owner, had originally signed me up for the contract back in April. She stated that I had not given 30 days notice of cancellation and that this cancellation should have been in writing. Therefore, she was extending my membership to 8/19/10 and charging me $41.95. I went looking for my contract to find out where this 30 day policy was. I read the contract back and front. No where was a 30 day cancellation policy stated.

I decided to e-mail Deb Kneser at Deb is one of the owners of the club that sends out monthly club newsletters from her RoadRunner account to all club members. I sent her the following message:

You are one of the owners of this establishment, correct?

I would like to discuss where in my contract I have to give 30 days

notice of cancellation or get charged $41.95. I have read the front and

back of my contract and the only terms it deals with is if I move away

or if the Club closes.

I paid a year in full and according to my contract (pink copy), my

contract expires 7/20/10. Why is my contract being extended to 8/20/10?

I have not used the club for the past 7 months. I calculate this $226

for not using any of your services.

Why can't you cancel my contact and we call it even? Even if there was

a cancellation fee, it should be $32.40 since the original term was 15

months @ $486.11.

Please let me know when either you or Kerri are available to discuss

this matter in person. I can come after 5PM Monday through Friday.

That e-mail was sent the night of 7/6/09. I waited the next two days, expecting an apology about the mix-up and cancellation of my membership without the $41.95 charge. I went into the club the night of 7/8/10, not hearing anything from Deb. I spoke to an older gentlemen and asked him when Kerry, the husband of Deb and co-owner of the club, when he would be in. He told me within 1 week, but that I could leave my name and my phone number and that Kerry usually visits the club on a daily basis to check in.

I did not hear from Kerry at all until I got an e-mail on 7/14/10:

Hi Adam,

I will try to address ALL of your concerns:

First, when you signed up in April we were offering "Three Free Months"

(which you received), that's why the membership was for 15 months;

therefore, your calculation of $32.40 is incorrect.

Second, at the time of signing every member is told about the "Renewal

Program" and the thirty day notice we need in order to cancel. If you

recall, there are three options a person has at their disposal; 1)

cancel w/30 day notice, 2) continue on a month to month basis, or 3)

take advantage of any other specials that we may have at that time. A

thirty day notice is very common in this industry as well as others.

Third, your analogy of potentially losing $226.00 for not using the club

is a choice that you made. We can not force members to workout. The

club was and is available to all of our members 24/7!

Fourth, the cxl clause regarding moving or if the club should close its

doors is correct. You'll also notice that there is an early cxl fee of

$50.00 as well.

Now, this email is not an attempt to discredit you or cause ill feelings

towards one another. It is an attempt to answer your questions from my

point of view as a business owner. I have worked with many members who

have had issues come up in their lives and we do our best to make the

situation a win-win for everyone involved. Therefore, I'm willing to do

a couple of things for you in an attempt to satisfy your situation.

1) If you would like to continue your membership on a month to month

basis I will reduce your monthly dues to $34.95 per month starting in

2) Once we receive your July 20th payment of $41.95 I will personally

cancel your membership. You will still have use of the club until

August 19, 2010.

I've attached the "official" letter from our billing vendor (ABC

Financial) so you have a copy for your records. If you have any

questions please feel free to call, email, or stop in.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let us know what you decide

so we can set the process in motion.

As you can see from this e-mail, there is absolutely no compromise on his part (win-win: where?). He already knew I wanted to cancel, so why he would offer to extend my membership at a reduced rate is behind me. Do I remember what was verbally said 15 months ago? No and neither does he. I sent the following reply to him at both his club and home e-mail addresses:

I will bring $42 in cash tomorrow after 5PM. Since you are in tomorrow,

I would like a letter with your official Anytime Fitness letterhead with

my name, my account number, that I have paid $41.95, that this is my

final payment and that my membership is cancelled. I would like you

then to sign it and staple a receipt to the letter.

You know as a business man that anything said verbally isn't really good

for anything. That's why contracts were made. I made this contract 15

months ago and haven't been to your club for 7 months.

I never said I lost $226, but I have not put wear on your equipment,

used your electric, your water, etc. I'm still trying assess what your

damages are, whether I give you 2 weeks or 4 weeks notice.

I'm sure you've checked my FOB history and seen I haven't stepped foot

on your premises in 2010. However, you insist on extending my

membership 1 extra month knowing I won't use it.

Now I am where you are coming from. Thank you for putting this in

The next morning I decided to call the corporate headquarters of Anytime Fitness to see if they could intercede on my behalf in this situation. I spoke to a Tracy Lefebvre around 8:30AM on 7/15/10. The only thing Tracy could do she stated was call the owner and have the owner call me. I told her I was already going to visit the owner that night and that he was not backing down. She repeated this "solution" over and over, eventually saying that she would request a copy of contract from Kerry. When I asked her what would happen when she wouldn't find the 30 day clause, she said "I can't comment until I see the contract".

I asked her what her direct extension was so I could back to find out what the results of the investigation were, then she asked why I would call her when the club owner would call me. It was clear talking to her that she did not want to get involved past having the club owner call me.

On Thursday, 7/15, I went in at 5:30PM and spoke to Kerry. I asked for my cancellation letter. He claimed that his e-mail account was down on his Anytime Fitness account. He also claimed that he did not get my e-mails from the night before and that was not his address, but was. Being in IT for 12 years, this sounded like a load of ***, since Roadrunner e-mail can be checked from any Internet browser and his Internet was working at the club and the e-mail was sent to this address and his wife's.

He then asked if I wanted the cancellation letter sent by e-mail and I told him I was staying all night if I had to: I wanted this taken care of tonight and in person. I asked him to craft a letter on his club's letterhead with my cancellation request and receipt of the money. He started typing this letter out. For whatever reason, when he heard I was paying with cash, he aborted his letter and again went back to the ABC "Secondary Status" cancellation letter that he already sent to my e-mail 2 times before with the $41.95 amount.

He seemed to be on his agenda again, never asking which letter I wanted. I'm sure he didn't care. I asked him to sign the bottom of the letter which he did. He wasn't really rude during my interaction with him, but he does give off an "air of arrogance".

On Friday 7/16/10, I contacted ABC Financial to produce a history of my payments and after 8/19/10, a final cancellation letter. According to the representative Shoshanna, Mr. Kneser should not be able to bill me anymore.

Since Tracy would not do anything for me, I thought maybe someone above her might be able to. Through some Internet searching, I happened upon some internal Anytime Fitness PDFs called "Success Packs". These packs were described as a "newsletter for Anytime Fitness franchise owners". I found the e-mail addresses of high level executives such Jeff Klinger and Chuck Runyon. With more digging, I found that Jeff had left the company (probably the best move in his career) and that Chuck had taken over as CEO. His e-mail is The document was 5 years old, but on a whim I e-mailed him with all of the information at hand and scanned copies of my documentation. A week went by and nothing from our friend Chuck. I decided to e-mail him yet again and then I got a call and e-mail from a Janet M. Willett (, 651-438-5057). Her title is listed as Customer Solutions Manager. She proceeded to tell me there was nothing she could do: Mr. Kneser is an independent owner of this club and he can do what he wants.

She proceeded to tell me that he faxed a copy of the contract and that there was a cancellation clause on the contract. I asked her if she read the contract herself instead of just listening to Kneser: it was a cancellation policy relating to the club closing or getting a pro-rated refund if I moved away from Anytime Fitness. Neither of these applied in this case. I could hear her getting upset with hems and haws in her voice (did she think she could bluff me?), with her final proclamation: " it's his club and he can do what he wants: that's it".

If you look at their web site, specifically, they have this:

I want to report a specific issue with a club.

To report a specific issue with a club (e.g., great service, cleanliness, poor service), or if you can't reach anyone at your home club, please contact:

Anytime Fitness Corporate Offices

"¢ Hours: Monday - Friday | 8:00am - 5:00pm (Central)

"¢ Phone: 800-704-5004 (toll-free) | (651) 438-5000 (direct)

The question is clear: if the local club owner can do anything he wants, why even put that on your corporate web site? Janet must have the best job in the world: blame the local club owner when ever anything comes up. She doesn't have to solve any issue, ever…just blame, blame, blame someone else!

I opened a case with the local BBB in Wisconsin and played ping-pong with Mr. Kneser with pretty much a copy and paste response as he did back in July. Looking at the 30 Anytime Fitness clubs in Wisconsin, only 2 of them are BBB accredited and the ratings for each are either B+ or F, meaning they are OK or just down right horrible. I figure that most people just pay the fee and be on their merry way.

Anytime Fitness has taught me a very valuable lesson: NEVER EVER SIGN UP FOR A GYM MEMBERSHIP, EVER! I even saw a $19.95/month Golds Gym membership signup at work a few days and I just laughed. Take out a loan and get your own equipment or find a gym that takes cash with no contracts (yeah, good luck with that).

More Review Details

Helpful? 44 Yes 44 64 No 64
Had the same issue 26 Yes 26
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 27 #1000423

Do you think would give me any issues if I went to cancel? I am a 100% disabled Veteran because of uncontrolled seizures with TONS of medical documentation that takes 10 pills a day. I can’t drive and I walk up there and back (4 miles there n back) and I’ve used the gym like 4-5 times in 4 months? (ish… give or take 1-2 time) I thought I would use it more but it just isn’t practical and I realized I am better off buying my own equipment and working out around my house/neighborhood.

0 2 Reply

Jun 27 #1000415

I am searching the Internet because I am about to cancel because their club sucks and it is a rip off. I thought I was going to use it a lot more but it is seriously OVER RATED!!!!!! I don't know WTF I was thinking and now that I am looking @ my quicken I am like O *** why did I waste so much money :-/ .... Now I have to find the best way to cancel without all these issues.BTW interesting story

0 1 Reply

Oct 02 #1042385

I was injured in a wreck and unable to workout due to my injuries. I was paralyzed in the wreck and I am a single Mom with two kids they charged me for 5 years on my credit card. I tried several times to cancel my membership only to be told I can't.

Jun 06 #991951 Panama City, Florida

They are crooks, hiding behind a 'gym desk'. I am going thru the same after being really injured at this club (multiple hairline fractures to the spine under a trainer with the club), finding out that I have osteoporosis. Not the best way to get a diagnosis! And they still will not cancel my membership and refund me. I made the horrible mistake of paying for a full year in advance! They won't give that up, even for a doctor's diagnosis!

Jun 04 #991766

I was once a member here, I actually do remember them mentioning a thirty day cancellation policy, but I do not agree that it should count if it is not in the fine print. I remember when I wanted to cancel my membership, the only thing I did was claimed my debit card was lost/stolen specifically so that these guys could not charge my account. Since then, I have not heard anything from these guys. The only reason I claimed by card was lost/stolen is because I wanted the membership canceled NOW and I knew another 30 days meant another charge on my account which is what I wanted to avoid. Going without a debit card for a couple of days did not bother me that much.

6 1 Reply

May 27 #988578

Anytime fitness does the old ballys gym of signing up members without fully disclosing the cancellation agreement. It's a class action waiting to happen. Shi**y way to do business, la fit, planet, you fit, allow for month to month. Stay away from anytime fit, my fiancé and I got duped as well they don't disclose then swear they did if you decide to cancel before the contract term is up. I'm deing with the Clermont FL location but there are others all around the country finding out the hard way.

1 1 Reply

Dec 29, 2014 #922509 Milwaukee, Wisconsin

I asked my club if I could cancel and I would pay the fee and they told me I wasn't allowed to cancel.... Why am I not allowed it cancel?

Oct 14, 2014 #884660

Just wrote a email to anytime-fitness and cited this webpage...
I moved and my club closed on me, but they kept charging me.
Nice... Really...
Goes to show, never do auto anything.

Jul 31, 2014 #849087

You have a contract with no auto-renewal and a set termination day, why not just dispute the following month's charge with your CC? When your CC company asks for supporting documentation, you send them a copy of your contract, and explain your case clearly. "Contract's done, no auto-renewal, no 30 day cancellation clause. AF has no authorization to charge me".

4 0 Reply

Jul 26, 2014 #846352

Must be some online legal school you are going to. Without seeing the contract first hand, you cannot tell me what my contract with AF says/said unless you have some super natural ability to read it from several states away. No business man in their right mind does business with verbal contracts and how exactly does one prove a verbal contract was even made without an audio recording? As a law student, you should also learn to read...very carefully. I was asking for a refund of a month I did not use or signup for: I wasn't asking for all the months I didn't use it. The contract was very clear on the starting date and ending date of my relationship with AF.

0 1 Reply

Jul 26, 2014 #846339

Because you wrote this I have decided not to go with Anytime Fitness.

8 2 Reply

Jul 24, 2014 #845198 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"You know as a business man that anything said verbally isn't really good
for anything. That's why contracts were made. "
Law student here to tell you the above statement is false. Verbal contracts are indeed valid contracts. Furthermore, Anytime Fitness has a clearly stated cancellation policy in which, when you signed your membership agreement, you agreed to those terms. You also agreed to an auto-renewal option, which enters you in to a month-to-month contract after the conclusion of your initial 12 (or 15) month agreement. Regardless of whether a member pays for their membership in full or in installments, they are subject to paying for their membership fully unless 1) the club closes, 2) the member moves or 3) a note from a medical professional is presented indicating said member can no longer safely use the club.
If you bought a car but only drove it once, would you return it to the dealership demanding a prorated refund?
It is irrelevant if a member uses the club every single day for a duration of their membership, or only uses the club once. You're bound by a contract.

4 1 Reply

Mar 18, 2014 #796275

Same thing happened to me employee completely misrepresented the contract and cancelation policy (flat out lied) at the Delavan,WI anytime fitness owned by A. Hathaway and she just said Oh well didn't even apologize.

Mar 01, 2014 #790050

Anytime Fitness Point Pleasant NJ is a stolen business I know because I paid for it with the agreement with the owners, Janice Lauria and her husband William Lauria, they took me and my husband for a quarter of a million dollars and ran! They collect their money every month with not a single payment back to repay their debt. They have a $219,686.00 judgment against them and lawsuits to follow. They are losers I want to spread the word! Do not help them pay for their next planned vacation this November!

1 2 Reply
I hate you anytime fitness

Jul 21, 2013 #684527 Houston, Texas

What I don't understand is how the public cannot cancel their membership online in the 21st century.

I went on a 13 month deployment and return to find out that anytime fitness in Houston, TX still charges me from membership even though I tired to cancel 13 months in a row.

I swear with anytime fitness was a terrorist I would have gut you a long time ago.

Bastards, your business practices remind me of America Online. I can't believe we have to write a letter to have our membership cancelled.

2 1 Reply

Apr 03, 2013 #632228 Mountain Home, Arkansas

Ken Wisenhunt

Sep 18, 2012 #543737

MO smoke alot of something potent. Ps Anytime fitness is the number 1 fitness franchise in the WORLD. Looks like a sustainable business model to me

1 4 Reply

Aug 27, 2012 #534297

One thing to remember guys as a member of a franchised gym is that Chuck doesnt own them and cannot control a lof of what the owners do. Most in our area are doing a great job now. But what one does shouldnt reflect on the other.

Aug 27, 2012 #534273

i am a member in Australia and we can either pay in full (without them recording credit card details) or pay via direct debit. If paying in full it just ends when the date comes to renew. Otherwise yes a 15 month contract on direct debit will continue after the minimum term but then i can cancel whenever i want. Sounds dodgy to me....

Anytime Franchise owner

Aug 14, 2012 #528837

I understand the frustration when you have a problem and no one at the company you have it with wants to help ...or at the very least seems to try and help.
I won't try and pretend that I know what was on your particular contract but if I have been a member of several gyms in my lifetime and as memory serves all of them have cancellation stipulations. And I will be the 1st to say they don't make it easy. You have to be very aware of when you signed up and when your contract runs out. They all convert to month to month and they will bill your credit card or debit card. This is why they ask for a CC when you sign up even if you prepay. You want to cancel? Sure put it on writing and be sure and give 30 days...sometimes 60 days notice.
Yes I own a Anytime Fitness and yes I am in it to make money as are all people in business. I believe you have to be ethical and I make it a point to stress the cancellation clause. I even highlight it for my clients. But people forget, people mis-remember conversations but I NEVER not take their calls. They are not always pleasant but I do want to honestly fix the situation.
Did you get screwed? Maybe, maybe not but 1 thing is for sure you got to be made to feel like you got cheated. No business should make any customer feel this way.
I hope you have a better experience in the future.

3 0 Reply

1-20 of 39 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.